Indulge in your very own macaroon madness with this gorgeous French Style Strawberry Macaroon recipe.
Macaroon shells: 200g icing sugar, 100g ground almond, 100g egg whites, 25g caster sugar, 1 cap of food colouring
Filling: 125g soft unsalted butter, 1 heaped dessert spoon icing sugar, 85g tepid strawberry puree
Preheat fan oven to 125°c
Makes approximately 80.
- Mix in a medium size bowl icing sugar & almond together and then using a fine sieve and sift mix, pushing though with a spoon.
- Using an electric mixer and whisk eggwhites & caster sugar until it forms peaks; pour in the food colouring over meringue.
- Fold in gently the almond mixture until one consistency.
- Spoon into piping bag fitted with the 1cm nozzle.
Chef’s tip – stick down baking paper at the corners to trays with a small amount of the macaroon mix
- In rows pipe 1.5cm rounds onto the baking paper about an inch apart. Set meringues aside for 5 mins before putting in the oven (this will help minimise cracking)
- Bake macaroons in the preheated oven for 25 mins. Remove from oven and cool before assembling.
- Using an electric mixer beat butter & icing sugar until pale & fluffy.
- Gradually add in tepid strawberry puree.
- Line up simular size macaroon shells and pipe a small amount of filling onto one half of the macaroon.
- Put other half on top and store in an air tight container in the freezer until required.
Chef’s tip: Try other flavours: Vanilla, passionfruit, blueberry, raspberry, lemon, chocolate, pistachio